“Girolamo Buratto” Civic Art Gallery

Among the art works exhibited in the gallery, there is The Dream of Jacob, attributed to Buratto himself, a pupil of Pomarancio, and an important panel entitled the Madonna upon throne with Child between Saints Andrew and Helen and angel musicians by the Spanish painter Ioannes Hispanus.

This work recalls the thriving devotion to the Cross in Montecassiano due to the presence of a relic. The panel was begun in 1506, at the end of a plague epidemic and was finished around 1508. The painting portraying Saint John the Baptist in prison is noteworthy, from the first half of the 16th century, attributed to Pietro Ricchi, known as “Il Lucchese.” Lastly, the Gallery exhibits the paintings of Giovanni Cingolan, an artist from Montecassiano.

“Giovanni da San Guglielmo” Museum of Sacred Art

Among the works inside the church, there is the altarpiece portraying The Sermon of Saint John the Baptist by Girolamo Buratto or Buratti. The church is the home of the “Giovanni da San Gugliemo” Museum of Sacred Art. The most important works here are silver pieces by Domenico and Antonio Piani from Macerata and two busts of Saint Cassian. The museum also preserves numerous liturgical objects: reliquaries, chalices, crosses, pieces from goldsmith shops in Rome and in the Marche.

Confraternity Museum

Among the objects in the museum’s collection, there are processional objects by the silversmith Antonio Piani from the second half of the 18th century, belonging to the Confraternity of the Most Blessed Sacrament. Other noteworthy works are: the large 18th century banner of Our Lady of Mount Carmel; the catafalque in painted, gilded wood of the Confraternity of Saints Philip and James with which the dead Christ is carried during the procession on Holy Friday; the processional cross in sculpted gilded wood from the Confraternity of the Most Holy Trinity, of the 17th century and the processional crucifix with the Christ in silver, from the confraternity of the Most Blessed Sacrament, made by the German silversmith, Dionisio Boemer in the 18th century.

Compagnucci Building

In the 16th century, here is where Antonio Scaramuccia secretly brought up Amedeo di Savoia, son of Duke Emanuele Filiberto, for five years.

The present East façade was rebuilt in 1806, after the adjoining Chief Magistrate’s building was knocked down which allowed for an enlargement of the square.

The main floor houses the Girolamo Buratto Civic Art Gallery and has several rooms characterized by grotesque gouache and fresco decorations in Pompeian style. Until today, the name of the artist who did these paintings is unknown.

torna all'inizio del contenuto
This is the section of the institutional site of the Municipality of del Comune di Montecassiano dedicated to tourism. For information regarding the organization, go to the home
This site is made by TASK according to the main accessibility rules | Credits | Privacy | Legal notices